Tub Spout Installation Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Scullysioux

Reaction score
I am trying to replace my tub diverter spout. It is an American Standard and so is the old one. I got the old spout removed and am trying to figure out how to install the new one. The pipe sticking out of the wall has no threads or anything. The old spout has something inside it that slips over the pipe and then there is a screw at the bottom that holds it on to the pipe. The new spout is totally empty inside. Am I supposed to use the guts from the old spout or do I have to buy this separately? I can't get the insides from the old spout out. The instructions that came with the faucet are crappy as usual. Help please!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not a pro, but from what I hear, there are basically two types of connections. Slip-on's that have a o-ring for the water connection, and a set screw to hold it in place, or those that screw on with a pipe fitting. If your new one has a setscrew to hold it in place, it should have an o-ring there to seal it as well. Now, there's probably other versions or ways to do things. Check if there are threads on the recesses of your spout if there isn't a setscrew to hold it. If it has internal threads, then you'll need to add the male fitting to the stub coming out of the wall. Getting it the right length so that it tightens up where you want it with no gap at the wall takes some skill. Did the spout come with installation instructions? or what does it say on the packaging? That should give yo uan idea of how it should be attached.

Scullysioux

Reaction score
Thanks, for the feedback. Well, I got the insides out of the old spout and inserted them into the thread of the new spout. All the new spout consists of is the spout with a thread inside near where the water comes out and at the wall end there is a hole to screw in the set screw. It did not come with a set screw however.

The instructions that came with the spout are so terrible. This is what they say for installing the spout. "Intall diverter spout. For threaded inlets; 1/2" female NPT spout." That is all it says. I have no idea what that means.

I tried to install the new spout with the old insides and the old set screw, but water leaks out of the spout near the wall. Not sure why that is happening. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Scullysioux

Reaction score
Ok, I just took another look after rereading your answer, Jim and the old spout did have an o-ring that I forgot I had taken off. I'm going to put that on the new spout and try it. Is the o-ring supposed to be flush with the wall?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1/2" NPT (national pipe thread) is your key. It is designed to screw onto a male threaded adapter soldered onto the end of the pipe coming out of the wall. The o-ring won't work unless the spout was designed for it, your's doesn't appear to be. Either take it back and get one designed as a push on connector (easiest) or you'll have to play with it putting on a threaded fitting then screw the one you have onto it. Also, my guess is if it was designed for a push-on spout, the pipe probably isn't anchored well in the wall, and when you try to screw the spout on (after you solder on an adapter, making sure it is the right length so it gets tight when it is at the wall - I said it is a little tricky!), it won't be very sturdy. Properly done, you'd probably have a dog-eared fitting screwed to blocking, then a brass nipple coming out of the wall. You could get by with other methods, but the push-on is the easiest. Get a new spout! or a plumber if you don't feel comfortable doing this. By the time you buy a torch, solder, flux, some safety glasses, and maybe some work gloves, the fittings you need, it's definately easier to use a push-on spout or get a plumber if you aren't prepared already to do this yourself. My unprofessional opinion.

Last edited:

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like you removed a slip on style spout and bought a threaded spout for replacement. I'm in agreement with Jim. Return the spout and get a slip on or have a plumber come out and install the one you have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks