Tub spout broke, bent copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Nballer

Reaction score
Hello all
Need some advice. My tub spout broke off and left me with about 2in off copper pipe coming out of the wall with a connector on. I tried cutting off the connector which lead to me having about a .25 inch bent copper pipe coming out of the wall. Need some advice on what to do next as my cutter can't cut the pipe shorter. Is there a way to attach a new spout without leaks and without removing tile. Also wanted to know of I could just cap the pipe off and use only the shower head?
Thanks
20160825_164237.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you can solder, there are a bunch of spouts that you could use. You'd solder on a threaded adapter. If you have enough length, you could install this Delta adapter (it comes with some of their spouts) either by soldering it directly (assuming you have the length), or putting a threaded adapter on, then threading this onto it. The nice thing about this is that it seals with the O-ring, but then you screw it tight to the wall to minimize any gap.

The picture is too big to upload and I didn't feel like sizing it, but you can see it here

https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts-product-detail?modelNumber=RP12307

it works with a bunch of their tub spouts. I installed this one at my mother's house -

https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/product/RP17453

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Before you can do anything, you have to make the tubing round again. THen you can solder on a coupling and a piece of tubing with an adapter and screw a new spout on.

Nballer

Reaction score
Thanks, how would I make it round again?
And second question, could I solder on a copper cap and only use the shower head

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would use my Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to cut the damaged section of pipe off, and then a new end can be sweated on for a new spout.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, you could cap it and only use it as a shower, but...if you can get a cap on, you could also install a fitting to allow a new spout to be installed. I don't know of a tool to restore the pipe end to be round again, but some careful use of some pliers may get it close enough to get a fitting on, and solder would do the rest to seal. There might be a tool, but I'm not sure if there was, if you have enough sticking out to be able to use it. I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean a whole lot!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was able to solder in a new section of pipe on this one.

moen-3857-tube.jpg

And then I used a Moen slip spout.

moen-3857.jpg

If worse comes to worse, you can perhaps access from the back side, or lift out the 4-1/4" tile for more access.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks