Tub/shower surround framing problem

Users who are viewing this thread

mattyoungus

Reaction score
Hi,

I started ripping out a cheap acrylic 4 piece tub/shower surround today with the hopes of installing a new tub and tiling. The acrylic tub was starting to crack. After removing the walls, this is what I saw.

IMG_20150419_163023614.jpg
IMG_20150419_163010243.jpg

I am not sure what to do about the framing. It seems inadequate for backer board and tile, but not exactly sure what to do, especially regarding the cement block exterior wall.

I'm assuming that whoever installed the surround cut some corners, and I'd like to make sure I do it the right way. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks. And, for the record I am a first time do it yourselfer, so let me know if some clarification is needed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You want studs NMT 16" OC. YOu should be able to put some in and toe-nail or screw them in place to the existing header/footers. While most of the manufacturers don't call for it, some like to put a support centered where any cbu seams may be horizontally as well. There are some details required about vapor management, and it would depend on whether you're planning a surface waterproofing, or just a typical cbu install. With the later, you need to install a vapor barrier on the studs before installing the cbu...the former, you'd waterproof the surface and tie that into the tub deck. Lots of choices for surface waterproofing from paint, spray, or roll-on liquids, to sheet membranes.

To help prevent the new tub from cracking, many of them will benefit immensely if you bed the thing in a mortar bed. The killer is flex, and if you can put something that is inflexible underneath to support it, it should last a lot longer before stress cracks occur, if ever.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks