Tub/Shower Rough In

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by x81sd, Nov 10, 2010.

1. x81sd

x81sd New Member

073a.jpg
    Does anyone see any thing wrong with this tub/shower rough in?

2" branch, 1 1/2" vent, 2" trap reduced to 1 1/2" to pick up the tub drain.

074a.jpg
    In particular can the cleanout be in the 1 1/2" vent line? My (the 2" branch line is 64" thus the clean out) I haven't glued this yet so I can change it if need be.

Thanks for taking a look.

Jason
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The cleanout is supposed to be "full size", i.e., the size of the drain line. HOW are you going to access that cleanout if it is under/behind the tub?
  3. x81sd

x81sd New Member

I have an access panel that will be installed in the wall behind. Table 7-6 of the California Plumbing Code has the minimum cleanout size for a 2" line as 1 1/2" i'm just trying to figure out if it can be in the vent line in this configuration.
  4. hj

The reason the "cleanout" can be 1 1/2" is that the plug's o.d. is almost 2", which makes it equivalent to a "full size" cleanout on a 2" line.
  5. x81sd

x81sd New Member

So if I change the Wye to the Sanitee with the cleanout plug to 2" can I continue after that with a 1 1/2" vent after the cleanout?
  6. hj

Absolutely. Just glue a 2 x 1 1/2 bushing in the top of the c.o. tee. And you CAN use a "cleanout tee" which has a tapped opening for a plug, instead of that sanitary tee and adapter. If you do use the tee, they make a "spigot female adapter" which inserts into the opening so you do not have to use a short piece of pipe. Either of these two ways would let you turn the tee facing the access opening rather than sideways like you have it now.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  7. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

I'm more concerned about lining up that drain and the lack of an overflow if it is a tub.
  8. hj

LOOK at the picture. That big "circle" IS the overflow fitting.