Tub/shower remodel

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by trebor1meesh, Jan 27, 2008.

1. trebor1meesh

trebor1meesh New Member

This is my first post. I'm updating my combo tub/shower with new cast iron tub (30X60)and new travertine walls. Can you widen the tub width to 34X60 by building up the back wall? I'm thinking of creating a back ledge by adding two 2X6X60 along the back wall and securing them to the existing studs before adding back boards. I hope you understand my question.

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    tub

You can do anything you want to, as long as you can be sure it will not leak.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

A conventional tub has a raised flange on the two ends and across the back. This makes the installation very waterproof. Are you planning some kind of deck-mounted tub? There are more difficult to make waterproof.

Are you aware how much a cast iron tub weighs? There are quality alternatives such as high end acrylics, and the cast resin models. Cast iron is still probably considered the Cadillac.