Tub/Shower Drain Guidance

Users who are viewing this thread

Carrud

DIY'er
Reaction score
(Referred here from JohnBridge)

I removed fiberglass tub/shower and will build tile shower in its place. Drain will be moved to center of the shower.

1) What is best way to tie in from new drain location (which will be the center of the original tub area)? Direct to original location and add a 90? Or angled and have a 45? or?

2) Current drain is a bit clogged. Is this something that I can clean out with satisfactory results? Or do I need to consider trying to replace this piece? Or will is matter depending on answer to question #1?

Many Thanks, Clark

~Tub Area Full View.jpg~Drain & Vent Overview.jpg~Tub drain insides.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. you will have to break concrete over to the new drain location and move the "P" trap to there, if you want to do it correctly
2. When you do #1, it will clear the drain problem
3. The drain line can be cleared but you want the new one to be as direct, and short as possible.

Last edited:

Carrud

DIY'er
Reaction score
To follow HJ's advice to make the drain line "as direct, and short as possible" I am replacing all the old drain pipe that I reasonably can. And the extra work of cutting the concrete back to the connection to the vertical was well worth it. I get to replace additional old pipe, and I found the connection to the vertical to be at a perfect angle to take me to the area where I want the new drain.

Lots more chipping remains to be done, but progress is being made.

Many Thanks, Clark

Attachments

• ~2013-11-10 Slab chisel progress.jpg
    ~2013-11-10 Slab chisel progress.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 215
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks