Tub/Shower Diverter - Water comes out of both when turned on

Users who are viewing this thread

Cjeans42

Reaction score
Help!! Bathroom remodel gone wrong, way wrong. I think. I had all the plumbing replaced in my daughter's bathroom a year ago. Finally the bathroom is finished - don't ask why it took so long. Anyway, when the water is turned on you get to take a bath and a shower at the same time.

How do I fix this? I can't find the plumber who installed the Price Pfister cartridge. And I had a second guy (a general conractor supposedly) come in to fix the mess the first guy made and he has disappeared as well (leaving his tools at my house).

The tiling is up, the fixtures all installed, and when I remove the faucet handle and cover plate the area around the cartridge isn't large enough for me to look in to determine whether or not the cartridge was installed upside down. Its the only thing I can think of that would be causing this problem.

Any other ideas?

I suppose the only thing I can do is to break out the tile to make a bigger hole in the cement board, remove the cartridge, and flip it right side up?? All the connections were made with brass fittings (male adapters) solder onto copper pipes to thread into the cartridge's female connectors.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
What kind of diverter is it supposed to be; in the valve or at the faucet?

What model control valve is it?

Faucet diverters can give you a shower when in tub position if the valve is mounted too high in the wall, or if the line to the tub is restricted. They depend on gravity to keep the water from going out the shower when the tub is selected.

I suppose it is possible that they plumbed it with the tub outlet going to the shower and shower outlet going to the tub. I don't think you can fix that by changing the cartridge.

You should be able to remove the cartridge from the face of the control. It is only a bit over an inch in diameter. It is usually held in with a clip.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If they plumbed the tub spout connections in PEX tubing instead of copper, the reduced ID can cause your symptoms. The only general problem you could easily check is to measure your house pressure and make sure it is not too high.

moen-tub-spout-install.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks