Tub/Shower choice and installation

Users who are viewing this thread

paul3500hd

Reaction score
I just found this site and maybe just in time
I am remodeling the only bath room in the house
I have the walls down to the studs and I am ready to remove old tub
Steel,Cast cant tell any help here? Bathroom is 5x9
Not sure how I am going to get it out yet.......
Any Ideas here would help.....
I am looking at a Sterling Ensemble 3 piece kit
"Snap together ,No caulk installation"
Any opinion's on this unit?
I feel like I may be in over my head but, My wife says I will do fine
Getting the old tub out seems to be the big hold up right now
Again, Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Paul

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Steel would be fairly thin, cast iron is really heavy and probably at least 1/4" thick or so. If it is steel, a sawsall can cut it up in to manageable pieces. If it is CI, then using eye, hand and body protection (heavy clothes and gloves), whack it good with a sledge hammer. It will break. The flying shards can be quite sharp, so the reason for protection, especially eyes. Once it is in small enough pieces, cart it out.

If you use the search function, you'll see some good recommendations on Sterling. Personally, I have no experience with them.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Rap your knuckles on the side of the tub. Cast iron will "thud" and steel will sound "tinny". If you are in a tract house from the 60-70-80-90's, it is likely steel. If you are 50+ years, it would be cast iron if it is original, because steel tubs just don't last 50 years!

Cast iron tubs weigh about 350 lbs. If it is cast, post back here about some tips to break it up, because you can hurt yourself.

paul3500hd

Reaction score
Thanks Guy's for the quick replies...
We are going to go with the Ensambel unit
It seems to be a good choice per the plumbers I have talked to
I believe the old tub is steel and I am going to try to pull it straight up and out if I can.
If not, I will try the sawzall route
When using the sawzall to cut it up, How is it I can cut across the bottom with out cutting through the floor?
Or am I just cutting the sides enough to try to fold it down into the tub?
Again Thanks for the Help
Paul

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you hold the saw at an angle, you can limit how far the blade goes through. Once you have all of the drywall off (or whatever is there) around the tub, you may find some screws or nails holding the flange to the walls. Once you get that off along with unhooking the drain, you might be able to pull it out. If it isn't too deep, you also may be able to get it out of the house intact. If it were CI, that would be really tough, but still maybe possible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks