Tub shoe drainer issue

Users who are viewing this thread

B

bviaallison

Bear with me as I try to explain what it is that I'm talking about, as I have no experience with this.

Recently the round lid of the shoe drainer for my tub has broken off, leaving me with the threaded portion locked inside of the drain pipe for the tub. I've bough a fitting replacement drain kit set, however It seems the original installer put calk around the threading before inserting the drainer, and its stuck in place without anything for me to grip to break the calk away from the drain pipe and get the threading out so I can put in the replacement.

Any tips on a way to break away the threading short of buying a dremmel and chisel or an internal wrench? The metal is obviously very deteriorated, and I dont exactly have the money to replace the entire tub nor the know how to take out the tub and replace the drain pipe.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If it's broke then either beating it out or cutting it out is about the only option. Once the flange is off the top then the bottom should be free and it should easily come out of the tee of the overflow. You will probably be best to replace the whole drain. I'm going on what I commonly see in tubs... never heard of a "shoe drain".

B

bviaallison

Randyj said:
If it's broke then either beating it out or cutting it out is about the only option. Once the flange is off the top then the bottom should be free and it should easily come out of the tee of the overflow. You will probably be best to replace the whole drain. I'm going on what I commonly see in tubs... never heard of a "shoe drain".

http://www.rd.com/images/tfhimport/2002/Feb02_You_Can_Fix_It/20020201_You_Can_Fix_It_page002img004.jpg

A picture of the pieces in question.

In my case, the "stopper body" is what is stuck in the drain pipe, with the metal "flange" or ring at the top broken off leaving me with no grip.

A friend is telling me that a plumbers wrench would most likely work in this situation, but I don't know. Its pretty hard getting any force into attempting to break the stopper body apart or out because the drain pipe moves around.

Is there any kind of solvent I can use to dissolve metal or help break away the calk to make this easier?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Can you get you channel locks in behind the tub and take that old shoe out of the w/o assembly's tee?

B

bviaallison

plumber1 said:
Can you get you channel locks in behind the tub and take that old shoe out of the w/o assembly's tee?

I'm sorry, you might as well be speaking french there. No idea.

The tub is in an apartment made to fit if you follow. Three of four sides are sealed into a wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks