Tub Shoe Directly above Trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

grymes56

Reaction score
I am used to seeing tubs plumbed with the 'tub shoe' as an elbow shape and the tee being directly below the overflow/directly above the trap. I have a situation where it would be beneficial to have to opposite. That is - the elbow below the overflow and the tub shoe in a tee shape to accept the overflow AND be directly above the trap. The tub would drain down straight through the shoe and the overflow would tee into it. Does this type of tub shoe exist ? Thanks

Last edited:

grymes56

Reaction score
thanks. I googled that and can't seem to come up with any results. Could you post a link or direct me to where I could get one? Preferably in solvent weld PVC.

Asktom

Reaction score
I think Gerber makes a brass tubular one, perhaps by a different name. For sch 40 PVC or ABS you need to make your own. Use an overflow kit with an 1 1/2" shoe insert then get a 1/4 bend and a tray plug adapter (NOT swivel). Mueller shows one at

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q..._j78AV&sig=AHIEtbQV9QG15RgZ_r4DEl85rs2wppVR_w

Actually there are two. Style P113 has a hub outlet and P113S a spigot outlet. Use the san tee from the overflow kit under the adapter and use the 1/4 bend to turn up for the overflow. The trap will need to be lower than with a standard overflow.

grymes56

Reaction score
thanks tom. I think that setup would actually set the overflow arm too low with the tee being a separate unit. I am looing for an inteegral unit where the tee is actually PART OF the tub shoe. This would allow the overflow arm to clear the top of the joist that is in my way.

I found a unit from Geberit (is Gerber the american branch of Geberit?) But I cant seem to find any american retailers that sell this model.
1271.jpg

Asktom

Reaction score
Gerber is an old American company, or rather was, they are now owned by Globe Union (Chinese). Unfortunately there is no picture but this link might help

http://www.gerberonline.com/Catalog.aspx?categoryID=816

I would stay away from the assembly in your picture. The cable will eventually mess up &/or leak at the shoe and it looks like it has a built-in trap that is probably not self-cleaning and I suspect not approved. It strikes me as a set-up that is going to come back to bite you in the behind. If it messes up down the road finding a duplicate will probably be a real problem.

Meanwhile back at the plastic solvent weld, don't know if you have room but rather than a san tee you could use a wye and 1/8 bend to lift you up higher. Also, while overflows are a good idea they are not required. You could go straight down with the trap adapter and forget the overflow. Point the overflow ell up rather than down and cap it off.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You want a "direct outlet" waste and overflow. Watco's "Flexidrain" which has a flexible pipe to the overflow is such a drain. And it is probably the cheapest one, since brass ones are very hard to find, which makes them expensive.

watcoflex.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks