tub rough in

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jetlag, Dec 16, 2009.

1. jetlag

jetlag New Member

Dont people still include connecting the tub/shower with the rough in plumbing ? The inspector was here one day and I told him I was about finished with plumbing rough in except connection the tubs and few more things, He said i couldnt set the tubs because he had to inspect the insulation behind the tub/showers on the exterior wall before I could put them in place. I couldnt think how to answer that for a minute and he moved on to something else.. I dont know how he is going to do that with out making a special trip to see if the insulation is there . I still have to rough the hvac and electrical before I can insulate. What am I suppose to do , insulate behind the tub/shower and call him to come look so I can set the tub and finish the plumbing rough in ?
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. jetlag

jetlag New Member

no replies

Thats strange Ive had 31 views but no replies, I need reply from plumbers who have rough in inspections as to how the insulation behind tub gets inspected ,if at all. Needless to say we have a new young inspector
  3. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

You should be asking him. He has the last word. If you are using one a piece fiberglass tub then it must be insulated before you install the tub.

John
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  4. jetlag

jetlag New Member

I know it has to be insulated and I know inspector has final word , but is it to much to ask how other plumbers deal with this when they are ready to set the tub . Do they call inspector just to inspect the insulation behind tub ?
  5. dlh

dlh plumbing consultant

i dont worry about it since insulation for anything other than water lines is not in my job description. i set the tub and let whoever worry about the insulation.

on the other hand why couldnt you install the insulation then the tub? unless it is a one piece tub/shower type with the walls the inspector should be able to see all the insulation he needs to with the tub in place
  6. jetlag

jetlag New Member

It is one piece and I will install the insulation first, my question is I dont see how the inspector can inspect the insulation with out making a special trip. IM trying to find out the normal procedure before I make the call. You say you dont worry about it , the inspector can make the contractor move the tub back out to. I am the owner and contractor.
  7. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Since inspectors are different all over the country you have to ask him what he requires. Some plumbing codes have the requirements in their code book.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009