Tub replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
If that's a 2" trap you might have to leave it 2". If the trap is more than 42" from the vent then they would have to use a 2" trap and reduce the riser. If the vent is less than 42" away, then 1 1/2" trap is o.k..
Do not use a union p-trap.
To set the drain, attach the waste & overflow to the tub first. Then build to it from the trap. The "U" part of the trap will be the last piece glued.

I would not pour new concrete around the drain.

DC

Scott99

Reaction score
so it took me a good day to dry fit - remove tub, dry fit -remove tub,,,, to get the shoe lined up with the tub and the tub level. used 1.5" trap before reading those last posts.

needless to say had to drop everything to run and measure the distance.

I'm 32" from the stack which runs straight up but it also connects to the bathroom directly above it, from there straight up to the roof.

am I toast due to the bathroom above?

Scott99

Reaction score
vent and ptrap clarification

after a bit of research I think there are multiple vent configurations, two of which below:
- dedicated vent
- stack vent

lower level of two story:
I think what I have is a stack vent since my drain(stack) which is my main waste drain for my toilet and which my tub in question (assuming also sinks) connect to.

that same stack goes straight up the wall and the bathroom directly above it on second level connect into the same stack.

from there straight up the wall to the roof.

My tub in question is the lower level. the ptrap is 32" from the stack.

Is that also considered the vent and given the distance from ptrap to stack good with the 1.5" ptrap?

I really don't want to have to remove the tub and put in a 2" trap given the tight area and what I had to do to install the 1.5"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Normally once a pipe is used for waste, anything below it is no longer a vent. Now, will it work? Probably - it does in my house!

I'm 99% sure that my upstairs bathroom drains the same pipe that is the vent for everything on the first floor. Should it be that way, no, but it's worked for 30-years.

Scott99

Reaction score
Code?

thanks for the reply.

My tub seems to drain just fine, but not sure if this meets code. I'm pretty sure I'm IRC.

In order to change to 2" ptrap I will have to remove the tub and start this process over. something I can't do once I start the shower surround.

Can anyone tell me if my setup meets code?

Scott99

Reaction score
vent and drain setup correction

after help and local code book looks like the water closets in my setup described above was not up to snuff.. tore half the house down but found another stack.

I thought both the upper and lower level water closets, sinks, and tubs connected to the same stack. after more searching i found another stack about 8" from the other.

I've confirmed that all the fixures on the upper level are on one stack, and can confirm that the lower levels sink and water closet are on the other stack.

the only thing I can't confirm is which stack my tub in question is on. hopefully the same one as the sink and water closet on the same level. the only reason I question it is because the stack from the upper level is located between my tub and the stack which it should connect to for the lower level.

Is this setup referred to as a vertical wet vent?

assuming each level is on a seperate stack my trap in question is about 41" from the stack plus it looks like my local code allows for 6 foot trap to vent so it look like I'm good.

can someone please confirm if my setup is vertical wet vent, and also tell me how those two stacks which are about 8" from each other connect to the city sewer. do both stacks just connect to a Y then out the the sewer?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks