Tub Overflow Valve Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jb9

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am trying to avoid a timber floor joist that I cannot drill or modify in any way. I am close with my design but I need to somehow find a tub or overflow valve assembly that will extend another 2" or so before turning vertical into the P-trap (safely inside the wall). I am attaching a jpg to hopefully better explain my question. I am hoping that I can get an overflow valve to turn vertical once inside the wall to avoid having to bump out the wall below. In my jpg, the wall is hidden but the plane of the wall is established by the other stacks.

I have seen some overflow valve kits with non rigid hoses on the vertical drop. Or do folks sometimes make their own? I think a long sweep off the (upright) overflow face would give me the extra 2" I need.

Just not sure of the products that are out there. I have seen instances where the overflow assembly does reach into the wall.

Thanks.

Attachments

• TrapInWall.jpg
    TrapInWall.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 187

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The overflow on a tub doesn't go in a wall, it connects to the top hole on the tub.
Most waste and overflows are plastic fittings. ABS or PVC.
With those, you can add fittings as needed. If you have a metal W&O or one with the cable that assembles with slip joint nuts, then maybe not.

Jb9

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I was thinking about the Watco with the flexible green hose and the SanTee. I was also wondering if I could get a kit and spec out the horizontal length coming from the drain so it's a little longer so that it will enter the wall before turning down into the SanTee and into my P-trap. I just want it to be a little longer so it's inside the wall at the vertical.

Maybe a kit like this? I could use flexible PVC for the vertical and a sufficiently long enough rigid PVC piece for the horizontal.

Attachments

• kit.png
    kit.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 202

Jb9

Reaction score
I checked with the engineer at Matco and he said that the rigid horizontal PVC section doesn't come glued and could be replaced with a longer section to fit. I thought I would attach a couple drawings to show how I am hoping it comes together... Just hoping to have a simple intuitive plan.

Thanks for checking in on this thread. I appreciate it!

Attachments

• WithoutWall.jpg
    WithoutWall.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 168
  • WithWall.jpg
    WithWall.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 175
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks