Tub overflow pipe vertical movement-copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbobcooter

Reaction score
Hello I recently purchased a 1965 home that has all copper pipes (yes ALL of the pipes are copper). The tubs are cast iron. Upon trying to bathe my daughter we found the trip lever needed to be adjusted. While I was trying to manipulate the lever in and out of the overflow pipe I noticed there was about an inch of vertical play. Is this tolerable?

There is no access to the back of the tub with out removing recently (last week) installed cabinets and ceiling drywall. Previous cabinets did show some signs of leaking, but we ran the tub/toilet/all water prior to closing it up. Never thought to fill it up enough to test overflow.

My ?s: Is this vertical play typical with any copper pipe design?
Will I have leaks if we don't fill the tub enough to reach overflow (deep tub)?
Can I get away with this for a while until we remodel the bathroom in about a year?

Thanks for any and all advice

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This is why we no longer install the brass drains with slip joints.
They can be a problem over time when the water is up to the overflow. Often it's never noticed until someone decides to take a bath and fills the water overflowing into the overflow. Kids mainly.
Sometimes you can get by with replacing the rubber at the top and tightening the screws that hold it.

ppwasteoverflow.png

Last edited:

Jimbobcooter

Reaction score
So if I understand you correctly there is likely an old style slip joint that attaches the overflow drain to the main drain allowing for that up and down movement???

If this is the only loose connection I should not have any leaking problems because the main drain should not back up above the T connection unless there is a blockage downstram correct?Should I have any concern about leaking when water is draining via the main drain?

Sounds like I should be ok until the remodel as long as water levels do not reach the overflow level.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks