Tub not quite level

Users who are viewing this thread

Stivo

Reaction score
Hi all. I've read a few posts on the subject, but have a few more questions. I've installed an Americast tub. The short dimension is pretty level, both on the drain end and the opposite end. but the long dimension is screwy. It's level in the front and out of level about 1/4" along the back. That and the tub appears to be sagging in the middle because the gap expands to about 3/8" in the middle. And by "gap" I mean I've installed substrate, and begun tiling and see the gap variance.

I'm pretty sure that I can figure out a way to fill the gaps, but my question is what kind of problems can I expect from leaving it as is? And given where I'm at, would you rip it apart and re-level the tub?

It's 4 am and I'm up thinking about this... Thanks in advance guys.

Reach4

Reaction score
You might try a marble to make sure that it will roll to the drain from anyware in the tub. Given the apparent sag, you might want to take a look these including the advantages of mortar under the tub to make that solid. A sheet of polyethylene often goes between the mortar an the tub. I have no experience with this myself.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....cast-tub-in-mortar-with-grid-on-bottom.45891/

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/americast-princeton-tub-leveling.46435/

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
REach4 gave a good suggestion. If you take a long straight-edge, and set it along the long sides of the tub top horizontal surface, are there significant gaps? If there are, you'll likely have issues. If you can't get the thing to be straight and level by embedding it in mortar, the tub is defective. Some of the tubs (I don't remember if the Americast is one of them) specifically prohibit you from doing that. If the instructions say do not embed it in mortar, and it doesn't sit flat, it should be replaced. If it has been sitting like that, and is sagging, and has been for awhile, it may not go back to being straight again, or if it does, it may take awhile.

Stivo

Reaction score
Thanks guys, the instructions do say you can use a bedding material under the base. I actually built a pedestal under it, so it's not the basin that's sagging, it's the top edge.. i was leveling it from the top of the lip, i think that was my mistake. i'll take it apart and try all that I can to level it again, but i have a feeling that the tub is defective.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks