Tub Faucet Leaking After Many Replacements

Users who are viewing this thread

ghatfuswow

Reaction score
This is an older house made around the 1950s and the diverter valve is of the type that's built into the stem rather than that little plug you pull up on a faucet. So far, we've replaced all washers, stems, and handles for each of the three controls (cold, hot, and shower). I'm not particularly certain what else we could replace besides the complete diverter valve assembly, but that would be a most unfun job.

Now, I've tried to isolate what could be causing the problem, but it's been difficult since a shut off valve wasn't installed for the tub. One thing I have tried to do is look closely at the dripping water and veeery slowly turn one of the control knobs on to see if the water becomes one with the rushing water or stays separate, but it appears the drip and the rushing water are separate.

What else could I be missing??

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
It's always a good idea to replace the seats along with the new stems. That being said the better choice would be to replace the faucet will a new anti scald balance pressure faucet.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A picture of your faucet might help, but since you do not mention the seats, I assume you have not changed them and that is what is probably causing the drip. Depending on the faucet, how I would fix it might be different than how you can do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks