Tub Drain

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Chrisk327, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Chrisk327

Chrisk327 New Member

I'm in the process of remodeling my bathroom. We bought the tub, just not the drain yet.

The guy at the kitchen/bath place gave me a price of $122 for a Gerber drain in Brushed nickel, brass construction, then tells me the "better" one is $188 PVC construction, different brand.

I can go to Home Depot and buy a chrome drain, brass construction for $30, i can buy the brushed nickel kit for $20. is there any reason i should not do this?

Also, I looked online, price of a Gerber driain in brushed nickel is 80 something list....

Is there a reason to buy any brand in particular?

thanks

Chris
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The BN kit at HD for $20 is probably PVC tubular. A Gerber kit is much sturdier. The tub drain is something you want to "set it and forget it". Your guy's markup seems a little steep, but you want him to do an excellent job for you, he's entitled to make a living.
  3. Chrisk327

Chrisk327 New Member

Are you saying the Gerber is much better than HD brand for the same product? Brass for Brass?

Also, i meant for the $20 was a trim kit on top of the $30 for the brass drain.

I want to put it in and forget it... but I don't wanna throw money away.

What brand should I buy? I'm not looking high end, just not crap. I want durable and reliable.
    thanks
    Chris