Tub drain sealing advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike S

Reaction score
I am replacing a cast iron bath tub with a brass drain/overflow. New Tub is a new cast iron Kohler. Drain/over flow is a new brass Price Pfister for cast iron tubs.

I placed the rubber gasket on the brass elbow under the tub and lined it up from under the tub. I put plumbers putty on the flange of the threaded plug with a little sealant on the threads. When I screw the plug into the elbow the putty squeezes out under flange, like how I suppose it should, but some also squeezes down into the rubber gasket and blows it out of position. I suppose I am using too much putty but I want to make sure I use enough to make a good seal under the plug flange. Not a lot of room under the tub to work in. Old one didn't have the rubber gasket glued to the elbow and instructions don't mention glue or silicone sealant . Any advice for a DIYer?

Picture second post is about the amount of putty I used:
https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...rd-bathtub-drain-leak&highlight=bathtub+drain

I can't seem to get the picture attached here.

Reach4

Reaction score
attachment.php
Mike S's picture

Asktom

Reaction score
Roll the putty to slightly larger than the diameter of a pencil and wrap it around the bottom of the flange and give it a little squish. Sealeant on the threads might make it a little easier to take apart somewhere down the road when it is torn out, but that is all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks