Tub Drain plumbing questions (pics)

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Nate R, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Nate R

Nate R New Member

OK, what's the easiest/standard way to remedy this problem:
    [​IMG]
    My tub is 18" deep instead of the more typical 15-16." Should I find a longer piece, or use couplings and a section of normal Sched 40 to extend this?

And, is there any problem with settting these fittings up as shown below? Setting them up probably literally as shown, with only that little bit of space between each one? (no run to speak of between them)

[​IMG]

Thanks again for the help/education I've gotten here!
  2. Nate R

Nate R New Member

Anyone? I want to keep rolling forward on this project, just looking for some quick clarifications/checks. :D
  3. krow

krow Plumber

Which ever is cheapest. Just make sure its leak proof

I don't see a problem with it
  4. Herk

Herk Plumber

I don't see what you're using to stop the water. If it's a trip lever on the overflow, you'll have to extend that, too. If it's a pull-push or toe-touch or lift-turn type drain, then you just need the slip joint extension tailpiece to bridge the gap.
  5. krow

krow Plumber

The only thing that I would change : Instead of a union p-trap, a p-trap that is glued on all sides. Its just easier to hook up and it will be under the floor.
  6. Nate R

Nate R New Member

Ooo, didn't think about the stop. it is a trip lever on the overflow. I guess I may have to find a different (taller) drain setup then. I'll hit a plumbing supply place instead of a big box, then.

I bought both types of traps, as I wasn't positive which I was going to use yet, but was leaning towards the welded. Thanks for the input, I think I'll return the union one.
  7. Nate R

Nate R New Member

Ended up getting a toe-touch type drain setup instead w/ a tailpipe extension. IIRC, the toe-touch types last what, 3-10 years? But easy enough to replace the stopper.
  8. gear junkie

gear junkie Plumber