Tub Drain plumbing questions (pics)

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
OK, what's the easiest/standard way to remedy this problem:
bathdwv_2.JPG

My tub is 18" deep instead of the more typical 15-16." Should I find a longer piece, or use couplings and a section of normal Sched 40 to extend this?

And, is there any problem with settting these fittings up as shown below? Setting them up probably literally as shown, with only that little bit of space between each one? (no run to speak of between them)

bathdwv_1.JPG

Thanks again for the help/education I've gotten here!

Nate R

Reaction score
Anyone? I want to keep rolling forward on this project, just looking for some quick clarifications/checks. :D

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
My tub is 18" deep instead of the more typical 15-16." Should I find a longer piece, or use couplings and a section of normal Sched 40 to extend this?
Which ever is cheapest. Just make sure its leak proof

And, is there any problem with settting these fittings up as shown below? Setting them up probably literally as shown, with only that little bit of space between each one? (no run to speak of between them)
I don't see a problem with it

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't see what you're using to stop the water. If it's a trip lever on the overflow, you'll have to extend that, too. If it's a pull-push or toe-touch or lift-turn type drain, then you just need the slip joint extension tailpiece to bridge the gap.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The only thing that I would change : Instead of a union p-trap, a p-trap that is glued on all sides. Its just easier to hook up and it will be under the floor.

Nate R

Reaction score
I don't see what you're using to stop the water. If it's a trip lever on the overflow, you'll have to extend that, too. If it's a pull-push or toe-touch or lift-turn type drain, then you just need the slip joint extension tailpiece to bridge the gap.

Ooo, didn't think about the stop. it is a trip lever on the overflow. I guess I may have to find a different (taller) drain setup then. I'll hit a plumbing supply place instead of a big box, then.

I bought both types of traps, as I wasn't positive which I was going to use yet, but was leaning towards the welded. Thanks for the input, I think I'll return the union one.

Nate R

Reaction score
Ended up getting a toe-touch type drain setup instead w/ a tailpipe extension. IIRC, the toe-touch types last what, 3-10 years? But easy enough to replace the stopper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks