tub drain options

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jonwarner4, Aug 14, 2008.

1. jonwarner4

jonwarner4 New Member

Hi all,
    I'm in the midst of a big bathroom remodel, and am wondering if there are options for running the tub / overflow drain lines. Specifically, does the tub drain line have to run horizontally over to the overflow line, T in, and then drain vertically into the trap? Or can tub drain and overflow lines (assuming overflow line drops vertically and then 90's) meet horizontally at a T, and then hook into the P-trap?

Most diagrams I see show the vertical drain line right under the overflow line. I'm hoping I can run it the way I've described (hoping that makes sense) above.

Looking forward to your responses!
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

You talking "tunning trap"?
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Your options on waste and overflows are...

Drain in tee: This is the common one where the drain goes back to a tee and the overflow comes down to the tee, then the trap is straight below the tee.

Drain in shoe: This is where the overflow comes down then 90's to a tee which is directly under the tub drain and the tub drain goes straight down to the trap.

Side outlet: The overflow goes straight down to a tee. The drain goes straight back to the tee then straight out the back to the trap.
  4. jonwarner4

jonwarner4 New Member

many thanks!

So well explained, Redwood! Looks like I'm talking about a "drain-in-shoe" setup.

Follow up - is that a specialized fitting for directly under the tub drain? The part that came with the tub is a threaded 90 to accept the part inside the tub. Is there a special threaded T that can accomodate this, or do I piece it together with the standard parts?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  5. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

I would try and use what you have. You want the distance as close to the trap as you can. I assume you have something in the way keeping you from running it normally.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber