Tub drain location for p-trap under shoe.

Users who are viewing this thread

gwills

Reaction score
I am remodeling a bathroom in an old house that was converted from a barn to a house in the 50's. The joists are 3x5 with 1 3/4 LVLs sister to them and they are 16" oc. The joists run parallel to the long side of the tub. This doesn't leave much room for plumbing and cutting the joists is not an option. I made a mistake when designing the bathroom layout (don't know what I was thinking) when I assumed that the tub drain pipe that goes through the floor was centered under the tub drain. Of course, the pipe should have been centered under the overflow. No matter which way I move the tub (left to right looking at the tub from the end), a joist is in the way. The tub is positioned in the corner of a room and there is a curbless walk-in shower next to the tub.

Does anyone make a tub drain that centers the drain pipe under the tub drain opening? Is there another creative option? I have looked at different tubs (center drain, side drain) and they all put the drain right over my joists!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gene

watcoflex.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Watco unit is cable operated and I have never been a fan of that type of operation. To me, a better fit would be either an "expensive" brass tubing model with either a trip lever or "push/pull" stopper, or a plastic one, such as the "Global Industries" $22.00+/- one with the push/pull stopper.

gwills

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks