tub drain linkage assembly not stopping water

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by karkalec, Apr 25, 2011.

1. karkalec

karkalec New Member

Apr 25, 2011
    charlotte, nc
    Hi There,

I'm a total amateur and am trying to get my tub drain to stop water so my little girl can take a bath. I removed the face plate and there was no part of an old linkage assembly behind it except a cotter pin left over. I stuck a coat hanger down in the hole and could fish out nothing, although I did get the coat hanger stuck for a few heart-stopping seconds.

This morning I bought a Danco tub drain linkage assembly at Home Depot. I noticed it was the only option they had and assumed they were standard size for that reason. When I tried it out it did not stop the flow of the water out of the drain. I tried adjusting it to various lengths including making it as long as possible so I could feel it resting on the bottom of the pipe (it went in very smoothly and I couldn't feel any parts of the old assembly down there when I was feeding it in). Water still drains out of the tub regardless of where the drain stopper is. Anybody have any idea why this is so?

2. Cookie

Cookie .

Oct 7, 2005
    The drain assembly you bought does not line up with the existing drain. Just go get a rubber stopper for the tub, 3.00 and you are all set, then, add child & bubbles. :)
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Drain assemblies are NOT generic. Remove the "drain" from the bottom of the tub and convert it to a "push/pull" unit with a plain overflow plate.