Tub Drain Basket

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by CURTBREE, Mar 21, 2008.

1. CURTBREE

CURTBREE New Member

I tried to remove the drain basket in our tub, nad the cross bars in the bottom of the basket was the only thing to come out of the tub. Any suggestions on how to remove the rest of the basket so that I may replace it with a new one?
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

[​IMG]
    A dumbell wrench might have done the trick earlier but now its a bit tougher You have to cut the drain I'll be back in a bit with some pics for you I have to find them.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2008
  3. CURTBREE

CURTBREE New Member

That is what I tried earlier, it just twisted the bottom (the cross portion) off. Thanks for the advice, I'll wait for the pictures.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Heree's what I was looking for!

http://www.rd.com/19660/article.html

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

A dead blow hammer would be good to use. A lot safer than a steel hammer where one slip could raise havoc with the tub.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

When I do it I actually make 2 cuts on opposite sides so you can get a better hitting angle. I Don't beat the hell out of it either. More of a tap tap tap chasing it in a circle.