Tub drain and overflow questions????????????

Users who are viewing this thread

Pmaru77

Reaction score
I have a Kohler tub (alcove with curve) standard 60" x 30" with a curve that makes it 36" wide at center. I'm installing this in a remodel and have no access to the underneath, but only access to check for leaks. I bought the drain/overflow kit that Kohler suggested, and it was way expensive and it is all brass. The overflow has a nifty flex built into it, and I'm sure paying for that. I think the cost was $180 for the vibrant stainless brush finish. Cannot tell if it is real stainless unless I do a scratch test.

So question is, is it worth it and will it work with an install that has to finish at the tub fittings and not the p-trap drain area. Being solid brass there will not be much give if not aligned accurately I'm guessing. Also I feel more comfortable with ABS. One other thing I notices is the T fitting dose not curve downward to rid all the water, but is straight on 90 degree joint. No big deal I guess. But money wise, I do not see the value of brass. Plus I think it would be harder to work with. Can I do this connection using Home Depot parts and save some headache and money?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Tubs can be iinstalled from above with good measurements.
A solvent welded, (glued) waste and overflow is the norm now. I quit using brass overflows long ago. They normally require an access because of the slip joint nuts which can fail over time. Can, not necessarily will.
Do not test the finish by sratching it. Nothing holds up under abrasives like that.

With good measurements, you can do it.

Pmaru77

Reaction score
Tubs can be iinstalled from above with good measurements.
A solvent welded, (glued) waste and overflow is the norm now. I quit using brass overflows long ago. They normally require an access because of the slip joint nuts which can fail over time. Can, not necessarily will.
Do not test the finish by sratching it. Nothing holds up under abrasives like that.

With good measurements, you can do it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm going to return the brass and put the money in something worthwhile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks