Tub Basket Replacement Question

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by HooperX, Jul 3, 2008.

1. HooperX

HooperX New Member

Howdy! I found a large number of posts about tub basket replacement, but none quite answered the question I have. I replaced my tub basket a few days ago, but now I've been getting paranoid about whether I did it right. The basket I bought came with a rubber gasket that fits under the flange. The instructions said to apply an even layer of plumber's putty, so I put about an 1/8th of an inch all around the underside of the gasket, then installed.

Finally, on to my question :). The previous install had a ton of putty (maybe a fist full) jammed all around the basket. I removed it all before installing, but it got me thinking that maybe I didn't use the right amount of putty. Once I started searching, it seems like most tub basket installs don't have a rubber gasket that goes under the flange, and instead just apply plumber's putty on the underside of the metal. Should I have put putty on both sides of the gasket? Or even worse, was that gasket meant to go between the trap and the bottom of the tub? It came threaded onto the basket, up under the flange, and the instructions didn't mention anything to do with it.

Any help easing my paranoia would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The rubber gasket goes on the BOTTOM side of the tub, between the drain shoe and the tub. The plumbers putty goes on the TOP side of the tub, under the flange. A bead of putty the size of your little finger is usually sufficient. Some putty should ooze out. You don't want so much putty that it goes down and gets in the threads, or interferes with the rubber gasket. The putty is NOT a seal in this case. It is juse a "cushion". The rubber is the seal.