tub and shower inserts

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Puds, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Puds

Puds New Member

Installing new tub with shower insert. Still undesided on using Steel or Fiberglass tubs sold with the inserts. I have read the responses about the leaks of steel tubs with the insers. Conclusion; properly installed (leveled) steel tub with shower insert (caulking) should not leak.
    If I choose the fiberglass tub, would you advise against me using foam insulation from the spray can for the reinforcement under the tub? I figured the expanding properties of that stuff (actual name of one brand) would make and ideal support under the tub forming to all it contours.
    Thanks puds
  2. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

I like to use sand mix under the tub. You're going to want whatever is under the tub to be solid. You can push your thumb into expandable foam after its set up....not solid enough for me.
  3. Puds

Puds New Member

Thanks for that suggestion RioHyde. I am leaning toward the fiberglass tub or what ever there made of these days. Hopefully my wife won't drop the shampoo bottle and crack the tub.
    Thanks again.
    Puds