Trying to select a filter for Chlorine and sediment- before the Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Hobiecatter

Reaction score
We have city water that has a lot of sediment in it. I am searching out local Water Softener installers and have not had my water tested yet. However, I have been told that the hardness is 18 by a neighbor. The only other thing I know is the pressure on the outside spicket is 95-100psi.

Other than the hard water, the only other complaint we have is the Chlorine smell and taste in the water. We have been buying bottled water because of this. Due to the bad location of the sink in the kitchen, I cannot get a RO system to the fridge easlily. Even if I could, this would still not make the kids and wife happy when the brushe their teeth in the bathroom, they want the chlorine smell and taste...gone!

Other neighbors have bought and installed a Whole House Water Filtration system WHELJ1 from Lowe's in just before their water softener. Let me be clear...I do not plan on getting a softener from Lowes, it will either be a Clack, or Fleck valve softener. Just looking into this whole house filter. I like that there are no filters to replace on it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_31217-43353-WHELJ1_4294822071+4294821330_4294937087_?productId=1082883&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Complete%2Bsystem_4294822071%2B4294821330_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=Complete%20system

or would something like this be more ideal? http://www.purewaterproducts.com/wh.htm
I was told that these would actually improve the life of the softener. Is this correct? Would I be wasting my money on either of these? The yearly cost to replace the filter looks to be very expensive on this one. I also have been told this one will reduce our water pressure.

any input?

Chevy427

Reaction score
I never cared much for whirlpool water treatment products, but that backwashing carbon filter is not too bad a selection for what it does. Unfortunately, I have seen them on well water, which I would not recommend. However, on city water, it's not too bad. Flow will slightly affected but not enough to worry about.

The other choice--BigBlue 20" filter will also serve you well and is only slightly less expensive that the Whirlpool unit, which will last longer in total volume of water it will treat. The biggest problem with the Whirlpool, is that is is very difficult to rebed (as carbon will need replacing) and nearly as costly as replacing the whole thing. With the filter cartridge type, replacement is simple and quick. Of the two, I would go with the BigBlue filter.

Get a simple chlorine test kit to monitor filter life.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depending on the amount of chlorine in your water would determine the amount of carbon needed. With the smaller carbon systems, if you run the water fast enough, the chlorine will bleed through defeating the purpose. What part of Tx do you live?

Hobiecatter

Reaction score
Depending on the amount of chlorine in your water would determine the amount of carbon needed. With the smaller carbon systems, if you run the water fast enough, the chlorine will bleed through defeating the purpose. What part of Tx do you live?

North Texas - close to Fort Worth, but the small city that supplies our water comes from mostly a well and some surface water. Lets just say when we first moved in, my daughters blonde hair was turning kind of green after the first couple weeks of showers. Haven't noticed it that bad since, but you can definitely still smell and taste the chlorine in the water.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I am understanding it right, the chlorine is high and there could be a large volume of water used with in the house, and if that is the case 3 to 4 cubic foot of carbon in a tank with a back washing valve would be a better choice in handling the chlorine and flow rate in the house.
Carbon work at 3gpm per cubic foot for removal of chlorine, but that is with normal chlorine levels, if yours is higher then the more carbon the better.
Backwash rate for the 4 cubic foot is going to be 12gpm, so if you have the water to do that... it could be a choice.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
North Texas - close to Fort Worth, but the small city that supplies our water comes from mostly a well and some surface water. Lets just say when we first moved in, my daughters blonde hair was turning kind of green after the first couple weeks of showers. Haven't noticed it that bad since, but you can definitely still smell and taste the chlorine in the water.
I was in Austin for 13+ years and still have friends in the water treatment business there. Have you gotten a reading of how much chlorine is in the your water? Also, how many family members are there?

Hobiecatter

Reaction score
I love Austin. Went down there last weekend for a night.

Anyway, I have not gotten the water tested as of yet. I will be soon though. Will a chlorine test from Loews be accurate enough, or do I need to take it in to some water testing lab? There are four people in the household. One of which is a baby. 2.5 bath, one jet tub but hardly gets used. 1 50gallon water heater.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If Lowes has a test kit that should be good enough to get you in the ballpark with the level of chlorine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks