Trying to replace shower head without pipe!

Users who are viewing this thread

saganth

Reaction score
Ok I know the name of this thread sounds crazy, but bear with me please.

I just moved into a new apartment in an old building. The tub is old as well, and while the landlord and building manager have clearly adapted it to modern use as a shower, there is no pipe coming out of the wall at head height for a shower head. What has been done is there is a modern shower hose attached to a spigot down in the tub, leading up to a detachable shower head on a handle, and the handle is held up by a simple metal mount screwed into the wall. The handle has at its base a metal loop that slides onto a metal peg. It *looks* modern, but I've never seen anything like it in Home Depot, and neither did the folks at Home Depot!

So the reason for this post is this: I want to change the detachable shower head/handle because the handle is curved and cannot be tilted backwards anymore than it already is - I have to stand practically right under the shower head in the drain area. And I need a model with a straighter handle that's easier to hold for proper washing (the curved handle is very very awkward), or a mountable metal base for the wall that sticks out further (or both, preferably!). But I have looked in hardware stores and online and I cannot find anything like this set up. Everything I find is geared for a modern setup with a pipe coming out of the wall at head height.

I would post photos of this set-up but I am at work right now and can't. I hope I have described this clearly enough. Can anyone help? Ripping out the wall to install a shower pipe is OUT. It has to be a variation of what the landlord has put in, just better.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hose is probably standard, so you have lots of choices. Many of them have as an option or come with a wall mount for them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks