trying to remove tub spout adapter from threaded copper

Users who are viewing this thread

njfiddler

Reaction score
I need to replace an adapter that is screwed onto the end of the supply pipe, onto which my old spout fits with a friction fit. I can see a couple threads, so if I remove the adapter, I will have 3/4" male threaded pipe to mount a standard spout onto (I can't find spouts to match the old one).

From the wall, it's 1/2" copper, then a unit is soldered on: a short sleeve, then a hex nut, then the 3/4" threaded part.

Here's my problem: the adapter won't come off. Part of the problem is the adapter is round, thus difficult to grip. The other part is it seems to have bonded to the threads. I've tried WD-40 soaking. There is a greenish chalky substance on the exposed threads; is there a certain solvent I should use?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WD40 isn't a penetrating oil designed to help release anything. Get something like PBlaster or just some penetrating oil. It's possible someone soldered that adapter in place, even if it is threaded.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That green chalky stuff sounds like corrosion from the copper pipe. I agree with using PB as a penetrant which may do the trick. Usually, if I run into a problem of a metal fitting or nut that doesn't want to budge I warm it up a bit with a torch... and be VERY careful with the fire. Usually a good pair of channel lock pliers or pipe wrench will get it off with no problem.

njfiddler

Reaction score
Thanks for all responses. I finally decided to just cut the adapter off and go with a more standard spout mounting onto the 1/2" pipe directly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks