Trying to get the pump out

Users who are viewing this thread

bendjoseph

Reaction score
Our pump died yesterday. I am trying to get it out. In the picture is a "crow's foot" at the pitless adapter. There is a cable attached to it which leads to the top of the well. The instructions say to support the adapter with a pipe, which we did. Then pull this cable to release it. I yanked with all I have and it is not moving. How can I get this thing out? It is down five feet. Thanks for the help. photo.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is there a release cable attached to the pitless? What I can see in the pic looks like a safety cable attached to the pump.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Are you 100% sure that cable attaches to the pitless and not to the pump? Can you post another pic that actually shows where the release cable attaches to the pitless cuz I'm not seeing one in the pic you show. I tried zooming in on that pic but still cannot see where that cable goes.

If the cable is present and the crow's foot is stuck, you should be able to nudge it free using a rope or rod with a hook on the end of it. Whatever you do, make sure you don't drop it or anything down the well or else things will go from bad to much worse really fast.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
OK, nevermind... I just took another look and can see the cable on the middle toe of the crow's foot.

Get yourself a long piece of 3/8" rebar and fashion a small hook on one end and a big hook at the other end. The big hook is so it can't fall down the well. Use the small hook like a sliding hammer to tap upward on the outer toes while pulling on the release cable. I think the ends of the toes have fused to the casing.

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
OK, nevermind... I just took another look and can see the cable on the middle toe of the crow's foot.

Get yourself a long piece of 3/8" rebar and fashion a small hook on one end and a big hook at the other end. The big hook is so it can't fall down the well. Use the small hook like a sliding hammer to tap upward on the outer toes while pulling on the release cable. I think the ends of the toes have fused to the casing.

Second vote for the hook. Make a note on the pulling bar to reference the setting depth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks