Trying to figure out what heater is good for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Charles Jamison

Reaction score
Hello! I am new here and I figured by the amount of questions and discussions I might be able to get my question answered :)

I am looking at installing a tankless water heater in my house for the whole home, I have one bathroom, one dish washer, the kitchen sink and one washing machine.

Do you guys think one 16Kw heater would do it for this house?

Charles Jamison

Reaction score
I have a fear of gas that I don't think I can even get over so that is why I have chosen to go the electric rout.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The cost of electric heat is double that of gas in most areas, so that would weigh heavily on many of us.
Particularly in heating water, a tank heater is a much more cost effective and maintenance-free choice. The only way I would ever suggest an electric tankless might be in a tiny place where room for a tank could not be found.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Install an electric tank heater, not a tankless. Even a 20kw tankless has pathetic performance at your wintertime incoming water temperatures- enough to run about one 2 gpm shower. A 16kw tankless might struggle to even cover that, but would cover a low-flow shower.

Even a 16kw tankless would require a dedicated circuit of #4 AWG wiring with a 70amp breaker, and possibly an electrical service upgrade for the whole house. Then in 5 years when "demand charges" for the peak power use during the heaviest half-hour period in a month gets applied to residential retail rates (as is already common for commercial rates) you'll be stuck paying extra forever.

If efficiency is an issue for you, a heat pump water heater would be a far better solution than a tankless, which would not require anything special for wiring, and has lower peak draw than even a standard electric tank. But you'd have to think about where to install it from a noise point of view, since they're about as loud as a small air conditioner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks