Trying to Avoid A Major Disaster..Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cemian, Apr 23, 2013.

1. cemian

cemian New Member

Hi everyone
    I was wondering if this could be a DIY job or does this need the services of a licensed plumber to solve? The inlet pipe going into the water heater has rust on it as you can see in the picture...can this be cleaned off and fixed or does the this pipe need to be replaced? Doing so will need the entire water supply of the condo building to be shut off affecting everybody in this building..so if I could find a solution to avoid this would be all the better...looking forward to your comments..thank you
    20130423_111328 (1).jpg
    20130423_111338.jpg
  2. asktom

asktom Member

It needs to be replaced. You should get a plumber to do it.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Most condo associations require that plumbing, electrical, and other building repairs be done by licensed professionals and condo owner are not to mess with these things. You should not DIY even if the condo association permits it because of potential liability issues should there be a mishap during or after the repairs. My advise is don't touch it. Check with the association on what their rules are and follow them. It does look like the valve should be replaced, but there may be more problems that you can't see. It doesn't appear that there is an immediate danger, so you have some time to work with.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It should be replaced, but there is not enough room to "just" replace it. Some of the other piping will have to be revised to make room for the replacement. Probably NOT a DIY job.
  5. cemian

cemian New Member

Thank you for your responses...will have a licensed plumber take care of it then :)