Trying to adjust the water level higher. Dual Flush toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

dobesv

Reaction score
Hi there,

I need to adjust the water level in our toilet a few mm up, but the screw for this purpose is already as high as it can go. So, I need to raise the whole water intake thing. However, I cannot turn that around because it bumps up against part of the flushing mechanism. I'm wondering if anyone can give me a tip on what's the shortest route to correcting the problem?

I can't seem to figure out what the make and model of the toilet are, I don't see it written on the toilet anywhere, which is strange.

Here's a picture so you can see exactly what I'm talking about:

2014-05-16 09.42.11.jpg

I can rotate by hand the water intake thing on the left to adjust the height, but only until it bumps into the thing in the middle (sorry for the lack of terminology here). I can remove the button part of the thing in the middle by hand by twisting it off, but the pipe on the side that is blocking me remains and I don't know how to remove it.

I think either I should either remove the float from the water intake on the left so it can turn without being obstructed, but that might be impossible. Otherwise I have to remove the thing in the middle completely which I don't know how to do.

Anyone know what to do here?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Raising the tank water level above the design level typically will not have any effect on the bowl's level...the bowl, being designed as a dual-flush, needs to be able to fully empty it when you use the smaller flush, so unless it leaves some of the water in the bowl, it cannot hold as much as a single flush design. Any extra water you might try to dump in there will just be wasted, and the level will remain the same.

To test this, note where the bowl's water level is, then take a bucket and SLOWLY pour water in it (if you pour too fast, it will create a flush and empty)...after a short delay, the water level will return to the original level. The bowl is like a measuring cup...you can only fill it so far and then it flows over the rim - in a toilet ,that is hidden, but it's there.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
I think I see what you are saying, that the water level doesn't match the scribed line or the mineralized water line on the back of the tank. I guess you can start by moving the small white plastic tube higher, so that the tube end is just about where the tank scribed water line is, or just barely in the holder.

You might be able to replace the filler valve with a Toto filler valve, one that allows water level adjustment. I bet if you remove that top cap there's an adjustment knob under it.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from that angle, but it looks to me like it is roughly where it is supposed to be in the tank (1/2 inch or so below the top of the overflow riser).

Why do you want to raise the water level? Something has made you want to do it, after apparently using the toilet for some significant period of time.

dobesv

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the replies!

To clarify: the problem is that the water level is below the marked line, so the toilet doesn't always flush properly if you press the button. It'll just dump a bit of water in and stop, so you have to hold the button all the way through the flush.

I turned the screw on the filler to raise the water level (it has that "plus" on the top) but even at the very top, the water level is still a couple millimeters short of the mark.

The filler is threaded, so if I rotate it counter-clockwise I can raise the water level a bit that way. But unfortunately the float will bump against the little pipe next to it before it can turn all the way around. I also can't leave it too close to the front or the lid will press down on the float.

I don't know how to remove the flushing mechanism since I didn't install it, and I've never done that before... so I'm wondering if that's necessary and feasible for me or if I could somehow disassemble the filler and turn it around counter-clockwise once to raise it up a bit.

Just poking around I couldn't quite see how to do either of those things so far.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks