Troubleshooting help: Low pressure issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Underwhere

Reaction score
I have a 1/2 hp pump on a 400ft well with a 30 gallon pressure tank (30 years old but I don't think it's waterlogged).
On at 30psi, off at 50psi.

A few days ago my water pressure dropped and the pressure tank sits at 30psi.
I haven't heard the pump "click" on for some reason.
The pressure has been consistently low...though yesterday morning it was almost normal for a little bit.
I don't see it dropping below 30psi.

How would you go about troubleshooting this?

Reach4

Reaction score
When you say "and the pressure tank sits at 30psi" what do you mean? Are you referring to the water pressure as measured by the water pressure gauge at the pressure tank?

If so,
turn off the valve after the pressure tank. If the pressure rises, there was water being used after that valve that the pump cannot keep up with.

If the pressure does not rise, and with the valve still off, turn off the power to the pump. Does the pressure drop? If so, there is a problem with your well system. There could be a hole or a weak pump.​

If not,
were you were referring to the air pressure on the pressure tank? Then what is the water pressure reading?​

Underwhere

Reaction score
When you say "and the pressure tank sits at 30psi" what do you mean? Are you referring to the water pressure as measured by the water pressure gauge at the pressure tank?

If so,
turn off the valve after the pressure tank. If the pressure rises, there was water being used after that valve that the pump cannot keep up with.

If the pressure does not rise, and with the valve still off, turn off the power to the pump. Does the pressure drop? If so, there is a problem with your well system. There could be a hole or a weak pump.​

If not,
were you were referring to the air pressure on the pressure tank? Then what is the water pressure reading?​
Sorry I wasn't specific enough.
The gauge that shows water pressure (not bladder pressure) sits at 30psi.

I've walked around my house because I thought maybe I left a spigot turned on or something. I can't seem to find anything that is consuming water. After a few days I'd probably have a pool in the yard or some sort of soaked water damage somewhere inside.

I will try turning the pump off and seeing if the pressure drops.

Thanks for the advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
In a properly working system, the pressure should stay up.

But if you had a clogged path to the gauge or a stuck gauge, it could also still sit at 30 PSI.

You might get a pressure gauge that screws onto a garden hose thread to compare against. Those should be available locally for under $20.

If you have an above ground checkvalve (usually undesirable), the pressure could also stay up, even if there was a hole in the drop pipe. In that case, you might get some air in the pipes or a bang when you first turn the pump back on.

More possibilities.

Underwhere

Reaction score
In a properly working system, the pressure should stay up.

But if you had a clogged path to the gauge or a stuck gauge, it could also still sit at 30 PSI.

You might get a pressure gauge that screws onto a garden hose thread to compare against. Those should be available locally for under $20.

If you have an above ground checkvalve (usually undesirable), the pressure could also stay up, even if there was a hole in the drop pipe. In that case, you might get some air in the pipes or a bang when you first turn the pump back on.

More possibilities.

Shouldn't I hear the pump turning on if the pressure was really low? If 30 was the low switch, should the pump just be constantly on?
When I remove the cover to the pump control box I think that automatically shuts off the pump. When I replace the cover I don't hear any sort of relay or "click" that I remember hearing when the pump turned on and off.

Reach4

Reaction score
Shouldn't I hear the pump turning on if the pressure was really low? If 30 was the low switch, should the pump just be constantly on?
When I remove the cover to the pump control box I think that automatically shuts off the pump. When I replace the cover I don't hear any sort of relay or "click" that I remember hearing when the pump turned on and off.
I don't hear my submersible. I will hear the pressure switch click on or off.

Take the cover off of the pressure switch. You can look at the contacts to see if they are closed ( =on=touching)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks