Trouble with pressure balancing valve

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jasdyer, May 4, 2008.

1. jasdyer

jasdyer New Member

Just bought a house that had been "winterized" for about 8 months. After de-winterizing all was well EXCEPT I get ZERO hot water flow from one of the Delta pressure-balancing tub/shower valves. It's about 15 or so years old. Any advice on where to star looking for the problem??
  2. krow

krow Plumber

Your balancing spool may be stuck. It shood be located behind the face plate of the faucet. It looks like a 1" diameter slotted screw.
  3. jasdyer

jasdyer New Member

Thanks Crow

Let's say I find it and assume that it's stuck. Now what? Hammer, screwdriver, wd-40? How do I unstick it?
  4. krow

krow Plumber

1)You can try tapping on the large screw (Sometimes it will unstick).

2)You can shut off your water and try to unscrew that large screw. Once its out
    ------a) Try tapping the entire spool on something hard and see if it loosens
    ------- b ) purchase an identical balancing spool and replace it
    ---------------- i) maybe HD
    -------------- ii) plumbing supply house
    ---------------iii) call delta for replacement part
  5. jasdyer

jasdyer New Member

Thanks, again, Krow!

Will do! I was kidding about the hammer! Guess I might use it after all. I appreciate the tips.