Trouble with p-trap

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by gregnoob, Nov 5, 2009.

1. gregnoob

gregnoob New Member

I am installing a new pedestal sink in my bathroom but ran into a problem with the p-trap assembly...

I bought one of those kinds that has the 90 degree down turn that gets glued into the stub-out and then connects to the curved part of the trap by a big screw so that you can turn the orientation of the trap and then tighten. On the other end I glued a 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 adapter...

When I poured water through the assembly, it leaked at the big screw part (see picture).

I noticed that there in no plastic "nut" in the joint part where the leak is... Is there supposed to be? Am I supposed to do something to the joint to keep it from leaking? Am I better off just buying parts that can be simply glued together rather than mess with this "adjustable" stuff?

Thanks!

[​IMG]
  2. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

If that is a slip on piece then yes there should be the plastic piece. If that is a screw on part (both ends) then no.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

Your pic is Sch. 40 PVC...I personaly would have opted for the 1 1/4" tubing trap...it makes this job less difficult... You should have a 1 1/4" Desanco at the wall and a tube trap and trap arm for the rest of the job...
  4. gregnoob

gregnoob New Member

Thanks... turns out that the threading looks bad (gouged) on the male end of the connection and that's where I am getting the leak. I've got to cut the assembly off and I'll probably go with the 1 1/4 Desanco on the stub out and then use the 1 1/4 tubular trap as suggested.

Think this is the only option to get things to line up now anyway seeing I have to cut and lose length.

Thanks all!
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

The "threading" does nothing except hold the parts together. You just need a better wrench to tighten it.