Trouble with bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

roeboat109

Reaction score
We purchased a Lowes eleganza tub and had in installed by supposedly a pro carpenter.This was six months ago when it was finally finished with ceramic tilef all around. Christmas day this year ,four days ago,my wife was showering in the tub she weighs about 140 or so.Someone opened the closet below the upstairs bath and noticed a big drip.I thought it was a leak in the drain or something like that. Come to find out it was a crack in the side of the tub.35 yrs we had been saing to remodel this bathroom and this happens. MY daughter in law was there for christmas dinner.She is in management for state farm ins. and she made some calls the next day.The bbb said this plastic tub company had more compaints about cracking plastic tubs than carters got peanuts. We found out today that we are supposed to be receiving a new tub which hopefully we can return to lowes and get our money back so we can yet a better qualty one,if one exists. Then we have to pay to have the old one taken out again and new one installed. Oh well easy come easy go right. thanks for reading.

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
Sounds like a non-steel tub. From my research lately, the non-steel tubs that I checked the installation instructions for, say to place the tub on the supplied foam or on a bed of mortar (or similar) and to NOT rest the side of the tub on a ledger board. If your carpenter did rest the side on a ledger board, check the installation instructions for your tub and if it says not to do that, that may be why your tub cracked. If so, maybe you can let the carpenter pay for the replacement. Something to look into anyway.

HRG

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only tub that would likely survive being hung from a ledger board is a cast iron one. On all others, the ledger board is there to support the edge if say someone sat on the edge. IOW, generally it should have one, but it should not be holding the tub up...that should be done from below.

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
The only tub that would likely survive being hung from a ledger board is a cast iron one. On all others, the ledger board is there to support the edge if say someone sat on the edge. IOW, generally it should have one, but it should not be holding the tub up...that should be done from below.
The American Standard "Americast" Cambridge tub is porcelain on steel with a composite backing, not cast iron. Its installation instructions say to support the tub by the front apron and a ledger board supporting the long edge against the back wall. One exception anyway.

Keep it warm,
HRG

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The ledger board is NOT to support the back if someone sits on it because the edge is usually too narrow and slanted for that to happen. It is to keep the back edge for "sagging" and pulling away from the wall/tile above it, breaking the cauld joint's seal. Cast iron tubs are too rigid to deflect that way. Why would they send you a "new tub" when the solution is to remove the "old one" and return it.

Last edited:

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
We found out today that we are supposed to be receiving a new tub which hopefully we can return to lowes and get our money back so we can yet a better qualty one,if one exists. Then we have to pay to have the old one taken out again and new one installed.
Run, don't walk to the place where you bought your new tub surround tiles from and buy enough replacement tiles for your upcoming tub replacement job before they run out of that particular tile. Then you might be able to just have the lower tiles removed to replace the tub and install the new ones.

HRG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks