Trouble Shooting not sure what to do next, where to go?

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is there a way to test the well pipe for a leak?
Remove the checkvalve at the house and put a reducer and Tee on the end of the pipe. Screw an air valve in one side and a pressure gauge on the other side. Pressurize it with air and see if it holds. If it doesn't, then you have to lift the pump and repeat at the wellhead.

What about the bladder tank is there anyway to test it?

Have you confirmed that your air gauge is working right? Try letting some air out so that water can get in. If water still cannot enter the tank, then it is plugged as @craigpump suggested.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
... turn the pump on against the closed valve. The pump should build and hold over 100 psi depending on the size pump and depth to water along with the condition of the pump and pipe. If the pump makes pressure but loses it when the pump is turned off with the valve still closed, the problem is in the well, either the pipe, a bad fitting or bad check valve.
Don't open the valve at any time while the pump is running as it would let the air out. You need the air to compress and hold the pressure. Water alone won't compress and so won't hold the pressure.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Don't open the valve at any time while the pump is running as it would let the air out. You need the air to compress and hold the pressure. Water alone won't compress and so won't hold the pressure.

I agree.

We don't even know if the pump is working.

Need to start at square one...

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
...the tank never fills yet I have water with good flow.

Kind of blows the backwards checkvalve theory out of the water. Since the pressure gauge is after the checkvalve, it would not jump up to 60 PSI either. You guys are missing the clues.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Kind of blows the backwards checkvalve theory out of the water. Since the pressure gauge is after the checkvalve, it would not jump up to 60 PSI either. You guys are missing the clues.

It could if the backwards check valve was leaking a little. Nothing here makes sense. First the pump was short cycling, then it would build to 80 PSI, next it won’t even get to 60 and shut off. All of those are caused by different things. I hope dkrisp isn’t drinking that case of beer before he goes out to the well house. :) Let us know what you find.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It could if the backwards check valve was leaking a little...
Ja, but that doesn't jive with the purported "good flow".

Nothing here makes sense. First the pump was short cycling, then it would build to 80 PSI, next it won’t even get to 60 and shut off. All of those are caused by different things...

Actually, they way I read it, first it was cycling normally but when the pump shut off, the water would run back, starting the cycle again. The "short cycling" didn't happen until after he jacked up the precharge.

DonL

Reaction score
What is strange is that water can go into and out of the tank, but yet no water in the tank. It may just be over charged.

Maybe water is making it back thru the Water Softener for some reason.

The Pipes may not be connected as thought.

My guess is it will be something simple to find, but could be hard to fix.

It will be nice to know the outcome.

dkrisp

Reaction score
Amazing some of things i am reading here.

YES THE CHECK VALVE IS IN CORRECTLY AND OPERATING PROPERLY. Yes the pump is providing water at about 55 psi but never going to shut off now. I took the entire system in the house apart and installed a pressure gauge at the floor where the pump pipe comes into the house I turned on the well switch and the gauge maintained about 52psi and never went over it. I have a Meyers 1/2 hp 10 gallons per minute pump 230V 2 wire. Now is this bad i believe my pump should easily hit 100psi.does this point toward a hole in the line or a bad pump like i believe. i was told to take the well cap off and listen for a leak after the pump is turned off but in my well the water is about 3 feet from the top as I am on a lake.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Well then your next step is to lift the pump a few feet and repeat the same test there. If you get a similar pressure reading there, then the problem is down the hole and you need to pull the pump all the way out to inspect the pipe and/or the pump.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Now that you have done the inside check, do the same thing with the pipe down the well. Because the system wont hold pressure, my guess is that you have either a split in the drop pipe or a rotted fitting. And yes the pump should make more than 52 psi.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Amazing some of things i am reading here.

YES THE CHECK VALVE IS IN CORRECTLY AND OPERATING PROPERLY.

I was just making a joke because I don't know what else to tell you. None of this makes any sense. If the check valve is installed and working properly, then even if there is a split in the drop pipe the pressure should not drop when no water is being used. Let us know what you find.

dkrisp

Reaction score
I appear to have 2 problems that are just getting worse 1st off the pressure tank has either a collapse diaphram or a clogged inlet as no matter what i do water will not fill the tank or go in it in any way Second I seem to have a bad pump or a split in the down pipe as I can not get the system to go over 52 psi when the pump is on and capped with a psi gauge. So i have taken Friday off and will be pulling the pipe. how ever when i took off the cap I found galvenized pipe all the way to the top of the pipe with a "T" on it. Is this some different type of install will I have a pitless still in the down casing?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sounds like somebody just left you a Tee handle already on the pitless. How nice of them. Probably just need to pull on the tee, but a picture would help confirm what you have.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Be very damn careful pulling on that T, I have see people leave them there like you describe only to find that the thing is damn near rotted through at the pitless. If it breaks with weight on it, you could find yourself fishing the pump, pipe and wire out of the well. Not fun.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Be very damn careful pulling on that T, I have see people leave them there like you describe only to find that the thing is damn near rotted through at the pitless. If it breaks with weight on it, you could find yourself fishing the pump, pipe and wire out of the well. Not fun.

Good catch! Galv pipe left screwed into a brass pitless, there may not be any threads left. Check it out before pulling up.

DonL

Reaction score
You may have to re-size or compress it to make the file size smaller.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks