Trouble shoot problem flex 5600 sxt

Users who are viewing this thread

Shawn1111

Reaction score
I bought a Flex 5600 sxt softener about four years ago and it has been working great. I have it set to regenerate weekly in the middle of the night. Unfortunately I have a job where I start at a different time each night. Not very often but I have gotten up when it was regenerating. I would notice that the water was hard as expected knowing it goes into bypass. Last night while it was in the RR mode I was drawing water and ended up getting pure salt water out of the tap. At soon at it went into BO mode it cleared up. It is possible that I have never drawn water out at this time but I have never gotten pure salt water before. I assume this is not normal how to I go about trouble shooting this problem. The softener is fine tonight with great water. Thanks in advance.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
You should not get salty water during regeneration. If you have the manual take a look at the flow patterns. It is possible something went wrong during the regen do to water usage but... it should not occur. I would recommend doing a quick check of the seal/spacers/piston assembly., It is fairly easy to tear down. If you look at my 5000 tear down video it is very similar to the 5600SXT.

U.S. Filter Pros

http://www.usfilterpros.com/
Reaction score
Website
www.usfilterpros.com
Check your drain line to make sure it is not clogged would be the first step. The only time I've heard of salty water coming out of the tap is when the drain line gets clogged and the salt water has nowhere to go.

ditttohead

Reaction score
A restricted drain line can cause salty water due to poor brine draw after a regeneration. His salty water occurred during a regeneration cycle. If you look closely at the flow drawings you will notice the likelihood of salty water during regeneration is very unlikely unless there is a problem with seals/piston. I would pay close attention to the lower seals.

Also if it was in the RR mode, this may indicate that the brine cycle is not working properly as the brine should be removed during the first 15 minutes of the cycle.

Shawn1111

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have not had a chance to take it apart yet. Are you thinking that a washer somehow got unseated? Am I better off buying the repair kit seals and pistons and just change them out. What could be wrong with the brine draw besides it being plugged up? Thanks again for your help

ditttohead

Reaction score
You stated you had salty water during regeneration. This is most likely caused by a damaged seal/piston. A problem with the drain line would cause salty water after, not during the regeneration., If you have the manual you can look at the flow charts to see the processes. During regeneration the valve bypasses untreated water to the application.

Replace the seals/spacer/piston at the same time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks