trouble removing old faucet - no room for basin wrench

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by grundy, Jul 26, 2008.

1. grundy

grundy New Member

hello,

I'm trying to remove an old bathroom faucet. The bathroom counter is tile, and the cutout for the plywood is very tight - there is precious little room between the lock nuts, plywood and sink. There is not enough room to apply a basin wrench to the lock nuts.

What to do? Help?

Here are some photos (toothbrush for scale, and yes that's an old toothbrush kept under the sink for cleaning :)):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some basin wrenches I've seen would fit.

But, if you took the water supply lines off and got some really deep sockets, you could probably get them loose that way. They make a fairly inexpensive set of plumbing sockets that should fit.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Just take a drill and drill out the nut on one side,
    Once you have it split, it will spin off easily.
    Just make sure you have eye protection.
  4. grundy

grundy New Member

that sounds like a winner!

thanks for the help.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I often cut the nut with a cut-off wheel in a Dremel tool then put my "Big Kahuna" screwdriver in the slot and twist. They come right off!
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

That faucet has to drop down to remove it, so you should be working on the nuts on top of the sink.
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Redwood slaps himself upside the head and wakes up!

HJ is correct! Good luck on the topside!
  8. grundy

grundy New Member

yeah... drops down. which, I figured out after cutting the lock nuts. live and learn. anyway, the new faucet is installed, thanks for the help!
  9. hj

thankfully

HJ is correct! Good luck on the topside!

Phew! I was being told that the old clutch was slipping and was starting to worry about it. Although part of my serpantine belt destroyed itself today, and there appeared to be a squirrel foot among the parts.
  10. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

If the squirrel was munching on the belt at least you know it wasn't a lemon! LOL
  11. hj

belt

At first it sounded like rocks in the engine compartment and was not sure if it was a tow job or not. Once I got most of the shredded part out, the rest is wrapped around the fan hub, it ran quiet and was able to drive to the dealer without the rest of the belt disintegrating.