Tripod for lifting ?

Users who are viewing this thread

gglaze

Reaction score
Hi,
As a kid I used to work for a pump repair place and I remember using
a tripod made from 4x4s,some chain, and a come-along for pulling
submersible pumps. This wasn't all we used,(like power-by-armstrong...)
but what I am wondering is, can anybody refresh my memory as to
how a tripod for lifting, made of 4x4s or heavier, could be put together ?

I just can't remember some 45 years later....
I know it had some bolts through the top part and some chain around
that to keep it from collapsing in, but the rest, I can't seem to come up with.

Thanks..a ton...
PS, I'm not pulling a pump, just want to use it with my come-along to lift
my hydraulic wood spliter to work on it.

Gary in OR

Speedbump

Reaction score
I've never had one, but I think you nailed it. The bolt to hold the three pieces of wood together could also go through the and link in a chain.

bob...

Raucina

Reaction score
I have just the rig for you, a clear 4x4 or larger, say 4x12 stuck in the bed of a pickup, the other end on the lumber rack, now your lifter is moveable, the height is adjustable with how you strap it in and at what angle - you have a Slovak cherry picker. The more creative will put a pulley at the top and a winch down in the bed where you can work it. Now you have a crane. IF you have the pickup, its faster and cheaper than the tripod.

gglaze

Reaction score
LOL ! Love the Slovak cherry picker !

Have the pickup but not the rack.

Thanks guys !

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Oregon has a lot of trees. I would get myself a decent size pole maybe 16 to 20 ft long, and two shorter posts maybe 10 ft long. The shorter posts would be fastened with a piece of threaded rod about a foot from the end to make an X with the top part of the X just large enough to hold the pole in the crotch with about 4 ft of overhang. Then use threaded rod or bolts and chain to hold it all together. Spike a 2x4 across near the bottom so the legs don't slide apart and erect it vertical.

Put the small end of the pole in the crotch with about 4 ft of overhang. The overhang lets you work outside the tripod area. The weight of the butt will counterbalance what you are working with, or pile some heavy stuff on it.

gglaze

Reaction score
Boy, thanks for the continued replies !
Great help here !

I am only lifting a small 12 ton DR Wood Splitter to replace a seal.
Not an industrial wood splitter this time so the weight is not that much.

Interesting about the "come-along" being meant for fence work, not "com-on-up" !
We used a 2-ton one for lifting a lot of indoor subs when there was no way to
get a hoist truck in there. Hmmm, not so OSHA compliant I'd guess...pretty highball
outfit but then this was 45 years ago too.

Appreciate the help !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks