triplex breaker 20/20/20 single 2 pole 20a, dual COMMON TRIP 1 pole 20a?

Users who are viewing this thread

mrpedal

Reaction score
Does such a thing exist? this seems like a common scenario- I've got all slots full on the loadcenter, and looking to hook up a 20amp 2pole circuit for tablesaw/bandsaw etc. I have mostly 20/20 tandem single slots, with the exception of a couple circuits sharing neutrals. Each circuit is a full size with the common trip, so the pair take up 2 full slots. I figured, no sweat, get a triplex 20/20/20- the 2pole 20a sits in the middle, and the single pole 20s on the outside, and i'm all set.... Except I *cannot* find a breaker with common trip on the inside (2 pole) AND outside (single poles) circuits.

For that matter,
Does such a beast exist? Failing that, without loosing any circuits, is there another way to sneak a 240v in there? Is it subpanel time?

Image of panel:
breakersSmall.jpg

if it matters, there is 200a service to the home, this was the original loadcenter, and was made into a subpanel per code (main had to be accessible outside).

kinda makes me wonder what common practice is these days is one when one needs to add 129037 AFCIs and there aren't slots available, and they don't seem to make those half size...

thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Whoever put the panel in didn't have any plans for future expansion.

You can replace that panel with a larger one, or install a subpanel.

You can get 200A panels with 40+ spaces in them.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
You won't find the style of breaker you are looking for that matches that brand of panel, but there is a good chance you can combine some circuits together and add a full size, two pole breaker.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
A breaker for you DOES exist, finding it may be a challenge though.
You need a 215/220 quad breaker. That is a 2p15 and a 2p20 in the space of a regular two-pole. Like two twins tied together.

It's the one middle left of this image:
40-quad-breaker.jpg

mrpedal

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. I'll check with the elec supply shop, and get an estimate for a larger panel and/or subpanel.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. I'll check with the elec supply shop, and get an estimate for a larger panel and/or subpanel.

You may be better off getting someone(PRO) Living Close to you, look and check out your needs.

When You start connecting Breakers together, Either Electrical or Mechanical, You are asking for trouble if it is not done properly.

Be Careful Playing with Electricity, You will have a better Day...

DonL

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
A breaker for you DOES exist, finding it may be a challenge though.
You need a 215/220 quad breaker. That is a 2p15 and a 2p20 in the space of a regular two-pole. Like two twins tied together.

It's the one middle left of this image:
You posted a Cutler Hammer breaker. The OP's breakers looked like Murray to me.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
And your point is???
Cutler Hammer CH is interchangeable with Murray, and even if it wasn't legally I would NOT lose one second sleep using one in a case like this.

Besides, the pic was just for reference. If it were a literal interpretation I would have said so.
Maybe so as not to get called out on a technicality I should have said: "It's like the one middle left of this image:"

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
I didn't know Cutler Hammer was interchangable with Murray. There not sold around here.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Murray, Bryant, C-H BR series, Westinghouse, Challenger, pretty much all interchangeable. Or any 1" "classified" breaker.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks