triple switch and bath exhaust

Users who are viewing this thread

mnunnelee

Reaction score
Need some help. Have a triple switch (light, vent, heat) that runs to a light, vent, heat in the bathroom. The unit is old and I replaced it. When going to hook up the electrical, I am confused. after removing the old unit, noticed that coming into the box are two different lines each with one black and one white wire, plus their grounds. Of course there is a triple switch on the wall.?:confused: trying to wire up the new box which has a white, black and red that lead into the box. Black & white go to first outlet. Red & white then come out to the other with the ability to disconnect a plug so the fan doesn't work. Do I make sense. Need help wiring correctly.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The possibilities are pretty big as to what needs to be done...it would have been MUCH easier if you'd marked how the old switches were connected. Now, you've got to do some research, and it may be beyond you.

How many wires are going to the light/heat/fan unit? Nominally, you'd need one switched lead for each function, assuming that each can be controlled independently.

The hot lead could be at the ceiling junction box and feed down to the switches, or it could be at the switches and feed back.

You need to check each lead, see if it is hot, and find the neutral (which may NOT make it down to the switch location). Then, you should be able to draw it out and make it work.

If you don't own a multimeter, you should probably get one. You might be able to do this with a test light, but it would be harder.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks