Trip Lever Drain for Americast Tub

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by buriedlie, Aug 22, 2008.

1. buriedlie

buriedlie New Member

I am having trouble getting a standard sized trip lever drain to work with an Americast tub. I think it has to do with the fact that the Americast tubs have a wall thickness of about 1/2". Beacuse of this the pivot point for the lever is further away from the drain elbow and binds on its walls. I only get about 10 degrees of movement in the lever when the face plate is installed as opposed to 90 degrees of movement when uninstalled. Therefore the plunger only moves up and down a very small amount.

FYI: I have tried two kinds of Keeney trip levers with no success.

Anyone else encounter this? Any solutions?

Thanks for your help!

Mark
  2. pearsonjc

pearsonjc New Member

I have exactly this situation! Did you find a solution?
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You may want to go with a drain with a dial instead of the lever.
    The dial rotates a cable that lifts and drops the drain stopper.
    Geberit makes this one for the Americast tubs.

http://www.geberit.us/catalog/bwo/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  4. pearsonjc

pearsonjc New Member

Thanks for the quick response! But...
    From the Geberit site, I can't find a traditional turn control model that can accommodate a 1/2 inch thick overflow as in my American Standard (Americast Princeton 2391) -- they only go up to 5/16ths. Only the more expensive push-button models can handle up to 1/2 inch, but they cost half as much as the tub itself! Perhaps you know a way that the traditional turn control models can actually handle a 1/2 inch overflow? Another issue is that the turn-controls say they are for tubs 17-24 in deep, and mine is 14 in -- perhaps you solve that with a saw!

Any additional help greatly appreciated!:)
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The cable does not CARE how shallow the tub is as long as it reaches the drain opening. BUT, if the cable or either of the operators fail, you WILL have to replace the drain somehow.
  6. pearsonjc

pearsonjc New Member

hj: Gotcha on the length of the cable, but I meant the length of the tube -- may have to be cut to fit a shorter tub.

Also, any suggestions on how to deal with the 1/2 in thich overflow opening?
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  8. pearsonjc

pearsonjc New Member

Thanks! Yes, I think that's the way I'm going to go, given my budget, skills...
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is the way I ALWAYS go, regardless of budget, and my skills are not a factor.