trimming solid surface vanity top

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Blank, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Blank

Blank New Member

I am attempting to replace the vanity and sink in my "small" bathroom. I found a vanity, 22x22, but now I am having trouble with the sink. The standard sizes are all too wide and take up to much room (there is a toilet in the way which prevents a larger vanity). I have been looking at the solid surface material and the smallest "standard" size is like 25" wide. Can I trim and inch or two from each end, and can this stuff be finished off (sanded) to look good? Thanks.
  2. thezster

thezster New Member

Not sure what type "ends" your countertop has. Typically, the top of "solid surface" countertops is about 1/2 inch thick... the ends usually, and the front always has a 1 - 1 1/2 inch piece attached for a finished look. I'm afraid you're going to end up with raw wood (pressboard) showing on the ends. I could be wrong - it's just what I've encountered in the past.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If you are looking at a typical cultured marble top, it can be cut essentially just like wood. However, you will be left with and unglazed edge. It can be sanded smooth, but it will not have the gloss or finish of the rest of the top.