Trimming face of cast iron tub

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Why did I try this?, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Why did I try this?

Why did I try this? New Member

Hello,
    I have a Villager cast iron tub going in. My old cast tub had tile up to it, so the "lip" was covered. This tub technically doesn't have a lip but the enamel isn't even either. Anyway, I have a vinyl floor going in with the new tub and am very concerned about having a cheap line of caulk where the tub meets the floor. Is there an elegant solution to this?

Thank you
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Normally the underlayment goes up to the tub, somewhat submerging the apron a bit. A good vinyl installer can make a tight cut to the tub, leaving just a smallish gap for the Silicone caulking.
  3. Why did I try this?

Why did I try this? New Member

Thats what I was thinking and I have never done this before. Unfortunately I got the tub installed on top of the underlayment:mad:

Thank you
  4. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Maybe you could install some simple white tile over the face of the tub and have it look somewhat like a baseboard detail?

JW