Trim carpentry question

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can use a router, jigsaw, Dremel, Rotozip... I think a good jigsaw would be your best bet. But Rotozip makes a "guide bit" that, in theory, is perfect for this application. Since there's only a small amount of material to remove, a drum sander in combination with a rasp bit would also work. You could do all of these, with the exception of the jigsaw, with the door right where it is.

Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
I don't think the Dremel or Rotozip will work on Mahogany. I tried to use my Rotozip on the bottom of a cheap pine door and the door just laughed at me and my 'Zip.

I'd try to plate it yourself. Rustoleum (and other mfgs) make metallic paints that might do you. If that doesn't work, I think jigsaw is the best bet. The door might be too thick to use a router on.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
prashster said:
I don't think the Dremel or Rotozip will work on Mahogany. I tried to use my Rotozip on the bottom of a cheap pine door and the door just laughed at me and my 'Zip.

Rotozip has come up with these new X-bits that are a lot stronger than the skinny bits they used to have. The new Dremel is 2 amps now and comes with a door planing attachment that would also work. It only cuts about 1/64 of an inch at a time, but you could go round and round until you got rid of the needed material. Probably faster to use the jigsaw, though.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I would try a powder-coating firm. We've got one locally that would sandblast the old pieces and powder-coat in the finish of your choice for about $30, I think. You could easily find a sandblasting outfit and have them get rid of the old finish for a few bucks, and then see if what's left could be finished to match your new hardware.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For the thickness and density of the mahagony, a good sized router is the way to go, but you'd need a sharp chisel to square up the corners. An up-cutting spiral bit can be had in a length long enough to do this, and the up cut helps to keep the router hugged down to the surface. If your router can't take 1/2" bits, one that long will chatter and give you grief, though. You could clamp on a jig while the door was in place, but it would be easier if you removed the door.

If that new piece really is oil-rubbed bronze rather than something plated to look like it, no paint is going to match the other pieces as it ages. The nice thing about that finish is the patina it develops and the subtle color variations it gets from wear over the years...paint can't touch it.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback folks. Here's what I think I'm going to do.

1. Install the exterior piece and live with it. Only the mailman will know the cutout is not exactly the right size. Even he might not notice. He definitely wouldn't care. ;)

2. Install the interior piece and see what it looks like. I could either
a. Paint the exposed door surface black to reduce the contrast with the
mail slot, and see how it looks.
b. Router just the edge of the interior with a roundover bit, to soften the
cutout appearance. Then paint the interior of the slot cavity black.
Potential problem here since I would be painting end grain.

3. I just thought of this. I could buy another door flap and install it on the inside. Not expensive in the big picture. Can't take money with you anyway. :)

If #1 and #2 don't work, I can use a router to open up the cutout. I would definitely clamp a guide to the door (door on sawhorses), and use a 1/2" bit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks