Trim a fiberglass tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

James-Fixit

Reaction score
This is a great forum. It has helped me during two bathroom renovations. I am currently stuck...

I have a fiberglas tub that is a 3/8" too large. (I waited until all the tile was up to avoid dropping a tool or tile in the tub and now I'm faced with a challenge.) The tub is a drop in soaker (MIREDS6032WH) and I have the platform build and tiled. I left the bottom row of tiles off at the front of the tub and two rows off at the back to make it easier to get the tub in place - then I was planning to install the last rows of tiles (after a test dry-fit to allow me to put a mortar bed in the bottom and confirm my plumbing connections).

The front of the tub is hidden by a small 1/2 wall (this wall holds a Geberit in-wall toilet), so the trimmed edge will not be visible. Should I trim the tub or cut and remove the 1/2" cementboard at the front? My worry about removing the cementboard is the challenge of getting another piece in there with sufficient support for the tiles - the last thing I want is tiles popping off. How difficult would it be to trim the fiberglass or is that a terrible idea?

Thanks,

James

James-Fixit

Reaction score
This is the platform. The tub will be a few inches recessed into the slab.
20150730_081444.jpg

This is a closeup of the front of the tub.
20150730_081246.jpg

This is the back. I left off the last two inches of cementboard - knowing it would be a very snug fit.
20150730_081429.jpg

When I tried to dry fit the tub it stopped about two inches before the cementboard on the back. I was thinking about this last night and think maybe a better option is to remove one row of tile and then cut out 6 inches of the cement board and after the tub is dry fit and then permanently put in place put the cementboard and tile back.

How about a picture so we have a better idea of what you are working with there?
How about a picture so we have a better idea of what you are working with there?

James-Fixit

Reaction score
This is the platform. The tub will be a few inches recessed into the slab.
20150730_081444.jpg

This is a closeup of the front of the tub.
20150730_081246.jpg

This is the back. I left off the last two inches of cementboard - knowing it would be a very snug fit.
20150730_081429.jpg

When I tried to dry fit the tub it stopped about two inches before the cementboard on the back. I was thinking about this last night and think maybe a better option is to remove one row of tile and then cut out 6 inches of the cement board and after the tub is dry fit and then permanently put in place put the cementboard and tile back.

This is the front of the tub.
20150730_082529.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks