Tried to fix slow shower leak, now have no water

Users who are viewing this thread

1jackw

Reaction score
I had a slow leak from a showerhead (no tub). I thought I could just replace O rings to solve the problem. I have a Kohler 304 valve installed. As soon as I removed the cap it separated into 2 pieces so I purchased a new cap assembly (RGP77759) and pressure balancing unit (RGP500520) from Home Depot. When these 2 parts are installed and I turn the water supply back on, the leak from the showerhead remains, and when I turn on the shower NO WATER comes out. I repeated these steps with no luck; I still have the leak and there is no water when I turn on the shower. All of the O rings are new and in place. I've watched the video from Kohler's website and cannot find anything that I'm doing wrong.

Could one or both of these replacement parts be faulty? Did I screw something up? Why would the leak remain if all valve parts were replaced?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I replaced the cartridges on two drippy Kohlers not long ago. Turned the water on and they still leaked. Turned out to be a pressure issue; should have checked that first, duh.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The valve may have been installed up side down so you would have to invert the innards in that case.

1jackw

Reaction score
The valve may have been installed up side down so you would have to invert the innards in that case.

I definitely did not install the cap upside down. And Kohler's instructions for the pressure balancing unit say it has no left or right side difference, although I think I tried this part both ways to try to solve the problem. I spoke to Kohler today and they are sending me a new cap assembly and pressure balancing unit. I'm hoping one or both are defective and the replacements will work. I'm not sure what else it can be as water does pour from the valve with the cap assembly and pressure balancing unit out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks