Tree Touching Wires

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by molo, Aug 5, 2008.

1. molo

molo New Member

There is a 20' high norway spruce tree touching a "thick" elctrical wire.

Can someone be shocked by touching or climbing the tree (without touching the wire)?

Thanks for any replys,
  2. Cookie

Cookie .

Molo,

Send your cat up the tree first,
    [​IMG]

In all seriousness, it depends on alot of things, if it is raining, how well you are grounded, how much insulation is worn off the wire, alot of variables. I would be careful.

I would call a professional tree guy.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Call the power company... they may hack away more than you want.
  4. Cookie

Cookie .

I found this on the net Molo:

Tree Trimmer Falls onto Live Wire
    March 27th, 2006 @ 8:51pm

(KSL News) -- A tree trimmer survived a scary and potentially deadly situation this afternoon.
    The man was in a 120-year old cottonwood tree when one the branches he was trimming fell onto a live wire. The man reported feeling electrical current running through his legs.
    The power company arrived and shut the power down. A ladder truck from the fire department then brought the man safely to the ground. He was treated at the scene. After getting on the ground, the victim cleaned up his tools and went home for the day.

The power companies hack mine to pieces. I use a tree guy and tell him what I want cut. I had 2 huge trees cut down recently. Both 90 footers because one was too close to my house and the other overhung my neighbors in the back. I was glad I did it. I got 2 in the front, that has to come down for the same reasons with powerlines.
  5. Cookie

Cookie .

Actually, there were 3 , 90 footers!
    Check these out, and these tree guys were fantastic! I would never had climbed these trees. It was amazing to watch them.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

wire

Call the power company. Trees rubbing against power lines can start a fire.
  7. RRW

RRW New Member

Oh so true, we had a really bad storm on Monday and the scanner was calling fires in trees and transformers all over town.
  8. pudge565

pudge565 New Member

As a nolunteer Fire Fighter i can tell you that most often tree/transformer fires are started by lightning. NOT the wires rubbing the tree. But over a period of time this is possible.
  9. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

At 20' and "thick" this is not power, it is phone or cable. Even if it is power it would be secondary and most likely insulated.
    Primary is much higher and is either insulated or bare.

I agree with pudge, but I do also thing you should call someone about it.
  10. molo

molo New Member

Yes, I don't think it's the main power lines either. I'm not sure what it is.

It goes along at the same height as the cable line and every so often it goes into a "tube" that is about 2' long and 4-5" in diameter.

Not sure what it is, but I'm not going to mess with it.
  11. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

Probably either cable TV or telephone. The "tube" is a splice box or junction box.